- 2 cups of Red Lentils
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon of Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- Fresh whole Cumin seeds
- Fresh Coriander leaves
Tarka Daal (Lentils)
Tarka Daal is a perfect dish for Summer or Winter, and ideal for vegetarians. It can be enjoyed either as a main meal, or a side dish, and is very simple to make.
- Wash the Red Lentils with cold water in a clean bowl.
- Place them in a pan.
- Add a little water.
- Add all of the spices.
- Let them boil for 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile put the oil in the frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add the crushed Garlic and Ginger.
- Give them a good stir until brown, and then add some cumin seeds.
- Add this mixture to the Daal mixture once the Cumin seeds start sizzling.
- Before serving add some fresh corriander leaves and little green chilli to taste for garnish.